Advantages of Freezing Point Depression
Freezing point depression osmometers are the industry-preferred solution and the gold standard in clinical chemistry labs, pharmaceutical research, and quality control labs around the world. There are a number of logical reasons for this:
· It has all of the advantages and none of the disadvantages of other forms of osmometry– Membrane osmometry is limited by the lack of a perfect semi-permeable membrane; and vapor pressure osmometry is affected by volatile compounds exerting their own vapor pressure – a major drawback in the clinical chemistry lab setting.
· Its freezing point measurements are fast, accurate and robust – Test times are typically less than one minute and sample repeatability is in the range of ± 2 mOsm/kg H20.
· It has small sample size requirements – Typical sample volumes are in the nL to µL range, this is advantageous for sample-limited and clinical lab settings.
· It is simple to use – Requires very little knowledge or scientific background to operate systems and achieve good results.
· It has limitless applicability and utility – Freezing point osmometers work well with almost any liquid matrix and are found in nearly every laboratory where osmolality testing is required.
· It is the most widely referenced and practiced technique for osmolality testing – Freezing point osmometers have been commercially available for over 50 years and are the most widely referenced technology for osmolality testing.